Can you have too much security? That’s a big 10-4!
Just like home security, computer security is a deterrent, not a 100% guarantee. You could try to make your home absolutely safe, but if you did that, would you want to live there? Concrete walls, multiple layers of security, guards, guard dogs, and a killer security system. You might be safer, but it would be really inconvenient and not very nice to look at. You would hate it. And even with all of that, you wouldn’t be 100% safe. There would still be risk from tornados, bombs, etc.
Computer security is the same way. You can pile up layer after layer of security to make your computer safer from attack, but at what price? It would slow down your computer. It would prevent you from doing many of the things you need to do. And it would slow you way down. You would be less productive and less efficient. And you would be frustrated too.
So the key with any security, including computer security, is to strike a balance. Evaluate the cost versus the benefit. Is the cost in performance and convenience worth the extra security? Many of these security suites on the market today go way too far in trying to protect your computer. Consequently, they slow down your computer and keep you from doing what you need to do. On the other end of the scale, some products don’t provide very good protection, so your computer is more vulnerable.
We’ve run across computers that had 2 (or more) anti-virus packages and 2 (or more) anti-spyware packages plus other miscellaneous security software. I can tell you those computers ran very slow. Some of these packages won’t conflict with each other when running on the same system, although they will slow down your computer. However, most of them don’t play nice with each other and can render your computer nearly inoperable.
To keep your computer safe, we recommend the following:
- Use one of our recommended security products. Keep it from expiring and keep tabs on it to make sure it’s working and up-to-date.
- Keep Windows up-to-date with all of the latest security updates.
- Keep security sensitive programs like Adobe Flash, Java, Adobe Reader, Chrome, Firefox, etc. up-to-date. Note that you should be careful when updating these programs as they may install unwanted software if you aren’t careful.
- Use Website rating and other security browser plug-ins to help prevent accidentally going to an infected website.
- Use an ad-blocker add-on in your browser to protect from infected advertisements.
- Have a good online backup service that has the ability to restore previous versions of files.
- Be careful!
- Don’t click on links in emails.
- Don’t open email attachments unless you are ABSOLUTELY SURE it safe.
- Don’t send sensitive or identifying information through email.
- Avoid clicking on advertisements on websites.
- If a website tells you your computer is infected or that something is wrong with your computer, don’t believe it.
- If a website wants to download or install something, don’t do it unless you are sure the website is legitimate.
We here at Cyber Tek Computer Pros have found the perfect balance of security to keep your computer VERY SAFE. Our Security and Maintenance (SAM) plan not only keeps your computer safe, but comes with a no-infection guarantee. If your computer is protected by our SAM plan and becomes infected, we will clean it for free. In the 8 years since we introduced the SAM plan in 2008, only 3 computers have become infected. And we have over 70 computers currently covered by the SAM plan!
And if that weren’t enough, the SAM plan also keeps your computer running as fast as it can. If you are on our SAM plan, you don’t have to worry about security. You don’t have to worry about renewing your security software. You don’t have to worry about updating Windows. You don’t have to worry about your computer’s performance. You don’t have to worry about your computer. Just use it!
For more information on our SAM plan, please click here.
If you would like us to check your computer to make sure it has a good balance of security or if you are interested in our SAM plan, please let us know.